A novel hydronic distribution system, ideal for heated floors.
Frequently asked questions
1. How large of an area can a HUG Hydronics unit heat?
Answer: The HUG system will heat 2700 square feet under normal conditions with standard insulation and construction
2. How much space does a HUG Hydronics unit need to operate?
Answer: The tank typically sits on the floor in front of the pex pipes and requires about 18 to 20 inches from the wall. The tank is 22 inches tall, 34 inches long, and 18 inches wide.
3. Is this unit complex to install and maintain? How much time is required to install the HUG Hydronics unit?
Answer: HUG Hydronics is by far the easiest hydronics unit to install and does not require professional tools. It takes about an hour to install a HUG Hydronics tank once the water heater and floor pipes are installed.
4. What tools are needed to install? Do I need any special tools to install a HUG Hydronics unit?
Answer: The only tools required are a small screwdriver & pliers assuming the water heater is installed and the thermostat wire is run. The HUG Hydroncis unit only needs a screwdriver to connect the thermostat wire. All the plumbing requires no tools; you just push the silicon hoses onto the pex floor pipes.
5. What heat sources can I attach to my HUG Hydroncis unit?
Answer: Any source of hot water that's rated for home heating can be directly hooked up. The easiest is an electric tankless water heater by AO Smith. Second easiest is a gas tankless water heater. HUG is constantly testing water heaters to find the best value, ease of use, and ease of repair. So far, our favorite is AO Smith. The HUG Hydronics installation manual and application notes show how to hook up to several other kinds of heat sources.
6. What hydronics systems or installations are not recommended?
Answer: The HUG system is an open loop system. The system is not recommended for pressurized baseboard radiator systems. The tank should not be installed 2 floors or more below the floor to heat.
7. Can I make my own repairs or is the HUG Hydronics system best repaired through a professional?
Answer: HUG's main reason to exist is to help make people be more resilient. Being able to fix things in your home helps toward that goal. The HUG Hydronic system was designed with that foremost in mind. Most parts in the hydronics system can be changed with no tools, and with basic tools in just a few cases.
8. What fluid can I place in my HUG Hydronics unit? What do you recommend?
Answer: HUG Hydronics can use any hydronics fluid or water. The best is water purified by reverse osmosis. Second best is softened water. Tap water works fine, but it might have minerals and bacteria in it that are undesireable to humans and heaters. If you add propylene glycol antifreeze, we suggest about 33% (one part antifreeze to 2 parts water), but 50% can be used.
9. What size PEX do you recommend for HUG Hydronics unit?
Answer: The recommended PEX is 1/2 inch. Silicon hoses are provided with the unit for a standard installation. They are high quality 1/2 inch ID silicone.
10. How do I order a HUG Hydronics system?
11. Who do I contact if I need installation or maintenance help?
Answer: Conact us at 218-587-5001 or email us at email@example.com for an unpdated list of local installers.